Wednesday, August 5, 2015

A Possible New Job!?


Here's me rambling about a job interview I just had.  I had no idea what I was getting myself into, but I went anyways.  I still have to decide if I want to go through with the whole thing.  By the whole thing, I mean the training process and getting paid for commission.  I wasn't too happy with what I need to do to make money.  It was hot outside, and you absolutely need business owners to sign your contract to reduce their monthly energy bill.  A lot of people have had bad experiences with such energy reduction businesses in the past and automatically say "no".  Although it's legit, it's a hard product to sell.  People don't see it eye to eye as a superior product.  Out of 40 or so businesses we kicked the door down, only 4 people said "yes".  For each "yes" you get paid $56.  In a day, you'd make $200+.  As a cashier you'd make $50.  You are making 4 times minimum wage if you execute the salesman training strategy correctly.   The minimum of sales you need is 8.  Worst case scenario, you can have only 2 sales as well, but you'd make a lot less on commission.  Ultimately, they want you to sell as much product as possible.  The energy company has a hell of a lot of their product to sell, and they want salesman who can sell it to business owners door-to-door, face-to-face.

It's sweaty.  It was hot outside.  You have to meet new faces.  You have to talk to people.  You have to be patient with them.  You have to communicate.  You have to raise your voice so that other people can hear you.  It's not easy.  It's a lot of foot work.  It's a lot of walking and talking.  It's hard out there.  I'll keep you guys posted should I enter the field.  If not, it just means that I forgot that the whole thing ever happened.  Overall, it was a good experience to get your feet wet, to get out of your comfort zone, and work on your networking life skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment