Wednesday, May 16, 2018

WIOA - I PASSED THE TABE TEST

WIOA stands for the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act and is a grant that you can get to go back to school/training while collecting unemployment insurance.  Although there are a dozen rules and regulations you have to comply with, I've prepared my entrance and paved the way for receiving such a grant.  Look folks, applying to scholarships has never worked out so well for me.  Yes, I've won 1 in my lifetime in which I've had to write an essay about being a minority in America.  Long story short, you have to take the time and and apply.  No, you can't just go back to school for anything.  This is not liking winning the lottery where you can do whatever you want with the money that you've won, aside from paying taxes.  The only thing that will gripe most people is that the list of schools and training courses must be "IN DEMAND" and must eventually lead to a positive job outlook otherwise it's not worth pursuing with government funding.  The grant only covers up to $4000 in total.  Thank God, my CAT SCAN program at a nearby community college is covered under their list of criteria.  There's a lot of hoops and hurdles they make you run and jump over.  Hell, I'm still in the process of making it all happen. 

In any event, I just past the TABE Test they require every adult to take regardless of their educational background and prior merit.  It's a bunch of question regarding reading comprehension and math skill.  They give you over an hour to complete the test.  The tricky part is to do everything within the time frame they give you.  The trick is you must answer 1 question within 1 minute.  I was in the library and book store the previous week "studying".  Well, I passed it but don't be fooled; the test was tricky.  Yes, I tried; and I did study for it.  I've never been guaranteed 100% on any standard test.  My life would be very different if every time I took a standardized test I were to achieve 100%.  I get it; I'm not gifted. 


So I have to go back to the Unemployment in the neighboring town because that is where the school is and my county doesn't have a current contract with them.  Yes, I'm facing a few roadblocks and problems.  Apparently, I just missed the Wednesday cutoff for walk-ins.  Have I called in yesterday, I would have an appointment setup already.  In life, the point is to be sure to CALL EARLY as soon as possible to get an appointment going!  Now, I have to "wait" until next Wednesday for an appoint and to do everything @_@  All One Stop Career Centers make you signup and register all over again.
I'm not even sure if they all requiring you to visit and fill out a small documentation worksheet for 3 potential schools you want to enroll in.  It's work having to call and visit each school to talk to admissions and/or the instructor(s)!   

I'm paranoid about the timing of things, because I am leaving and going on vacation to Hawaii next month!   Thank the Lord, I have the opportunity to visit Hawaii next month!  

Well, I just have to continue with what I'm doing.  I will definitely have to read out of my comfort zone by making phone calls and meeting people.  I hope to keep posting.  Thank you for dropping by, and I'll see you next time!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment