Tuesday, January 9, 2018

New York is in the House!

Hi folks!  Well, I got my opportunity at age 32 working for NYU Langone-Brooklyn.  For $30 an hour, I could be working in Brooklyn right now!  Yes, we've all watched Sex in the City and all those fancy Hollywood movies but is that where you really want to be for work or just play?  Hold the phones, not so fast.  What does this all mean?  It certainly does not mean that all I'll be doing is showing up with an empty sack and holding it out to mooch more money.  Like with any other job, you have to wake up early in the morning, get out of bed, put some clothes on, rush out of the house, and start commuting.  Driving from New Jersey to Brooklyn usually takes about an hour or more depending on traffic.  That's just the first part of the day.  The next shift is actually having to work the job and dealing with patients in the hospital.  From what I gather this is a tier 1 trauma hospital.  Yes, there's a lot of injured and sick people coming in and out of these places all the time.  The biggest hurdle is some of them one speak Spanish or whatever their native tongue is.  It's not all fun and games.  It's not a nice place to be, and you better be on top of your game at all times.  It requires  a serious level of social and physical prowess, which I'm not very into.  Yes, I can train myself.  Yes, I can do the job.  Except?  I already have a job at a local urgent care making $21 an hour.  Long story short, if I make anymore money I'd have to pay more taxes.  My life would be consumed by nothing else but work.  Little would I know, my time is up!

I have chosen a life of less hustle and bustle.  I have selected the job that pays less and is less stressful.  I decided to only have one real job at the moment.  I didn't want to become a workaholic.  I didn't want to come home like an angry asshole having committed all my waking hours to a place I don't care about, just so that I could make some extra cash and find out later I owe even more in taxes.  When people have lived out their youth and become old, who on Earth has ever said they should have worked more hours on their death bed?  Even though we are diabolically tricked into believing money is everything, our time is actually what is the most precious to us as human beings.  I do not want to spend anymore of my time on anything I don't want to.  At the age of 32, I have the full custody and power to dictate where and how I should spend my time.  I'm sorry, but I cannot bang out two jobs.  I'm sorry, I don't want to pay anymore tax dollars than I should.  I'm sorry, I don't want to wake up any earlier in the morning than I have to.  I'm sorry, I just don't want to be that person who overextends themselves for nothing.  I'm sorry, I'm not the kind of quality of a person you are looking for.

Why can't I just appreciate the job I have now?  It only requires that I drive 15 minutes away.  I get paid $21 an hour but is it enough to quench my lust for more taxable dollars?  I also have access to one of the finest gyms, Lifetime Fitness, around.  Who wants to go work in the hospital when they could be hanging out at Lifetime!?  I sure as Hell know I don't want to see anymore trauma patients voluntarily than I have to unless I was making some serious money out of it.  Long story short, someone else in need can go fill my job.  The only thing I'd be missing out for myself is the money.  Yes, I wold also be missing out on making connections with bigger businesses, other professionals, and experience but none of that really means anything to me if all I really, really truly want is more cold, hard cash.  If I just won the lottery and they dumped a million dollars on my lawn, that's exactly all I wanted, the cold hard cash.  All the small talk and people spreading crazy rumors don't mean anything to me.  I hope this experience does not come back biting me in the ass as it is not what you know but who you know. 

Thank you for stopping by.  We all have to make hard decisions in our lives.  This was one of them, but in the end I've chosen the less stressful job that makes less money over the more stressful job that makes more money.  Now, the kids know why they're not richy rich. 

See you next time!               



       

No comments:

Post a Comment